Important Notice for Existing Members: the system is recently updated, and login system is also upgraded. You will need to reset your password to log in again. Please use the FORGOT PASSWORD button below to reset, and after all the procedures, you will be able to log back in. Email us for any issues

Member? Come on in!

Forgot password?

Not angel? Sign up now!

website design - plane, textures,
Started by McLaranium 8-1-14 .

the menu in apple.com is "oldie"
the all new trend is plane, even new User Interfaces are so new design plane no texture or effect of volume,
I'm not sure if you know what I mean,
but even Internet Explorer has UI plane,
1 -I remember some websites with traditional menus, even some Flash menus (websites offering only flash menus for sale! ),
2 - I remember websites using TABLES and frames.
the websites without tables arrived by CSS and so, just a few "minimalist designs" or ellegants were in CSS based.

3- the traditional websites, with graphic menus or flash menus now are away far so far. the "return " of CSS menus and style design is back.

I post this because I saw mediatemple.net new website.
this new one maybe functional - no more good looking as I did like,

Nohbudy 8-1-14 2014-01-08 17:50:22

I see two major reasons for the change back to the minimalist style menus.

1. The glossy look is very "windows vista" which is now old and looks overdone. Sort of like hairstyles from the 80's. [ link ]

b. The movement to mobile devices, means that having a website that can look good on any size screen and navigated with big fat fingers important. It's eaiser to make an HTML box fit, than to make raster graphics fit.

Vector SVG, and CSS can replicate the glossy style. But that takes significant efforts to get correct, in such a way that it flows nicely with dynamic data and screen size while still looking good.

McLaranium . 8-1-14
mobile devices - yes, the Google play design and whatzapp UI are so "minimal" today. Believe it or not, since I was in the school I always compare the graphic design trends have a flow similar to the trend in hair styles. both change and transforms, turning and returning or evolution or retro too.

Night Angel 9-1-14 2014-01-09 02:39:14

This topic reminds of the evolution of Mac OSX UI (user interface). When Mac OSX first appeared more than 10 years ago, it was huge because no operating system did something like this before. It made the virtual working environment so comfortable and delicious.

Looking back, OSX has been changed a lot, from the exaggerating Aqua bubble buttons (that everyone wants to imitate) to the current simple silver / grey finish, a more minimalistic direction is adopted. In the latest Mavericks, the "skeuomorphic" design approach, meaning to imitate real life objects, are even killed, making the windows and dialogs in OSX even simpler.

I guess the latest iOS7 is even more. It is so minimalistic now that there is no more realistic objects or glassy buttons.

The change is probably because of the growing numbers of devices of different screen sizes, and thus the growing needs of responsive UI. Minimalistic will make things easier to be designed and adjusted. Also, I think one of the Apple seniors are right. Previously the skeuomorphic design is to help people understand the virtual space, but later when they are already familiar with that, we can go back and use a simple design.

There is no good or bad thing about such change or both design approaches. You only need to know the audience to decide on what to do. Commercial sites need fast response and probably a simpler design will benefit more. Graphical websites (like this forum) can stay flamboyant, as long as the users can afford.

Nohbudy 9-1-14 2014-01-09 17:57:11

Translucent title bars? That's advanced bro.

ikomi 9-1-14 2014-01-09 19:07:30

Did you forget the sarcasm tag?

Mixed thoughts on skeuomorphism, I understand the point about using analog objects to represent digital functions being outdated or irrelevant, but I'm also not sure about the few alternatives I've seen so far. The latest seems to be Metro-style coloured boxes where the colour arguably has no relation to the function represented and use of text. For now anyway, I still think icons (visual depictions) are identified faster than text provided there is a more or less common "lexicon", e.g. for music. Maybe Unicode dingbats as another example, with updated graphics as applicable,

Metro scheme works with websites, particularly mobile sites, but for OS UI imho it gets boring fast, an OS having more complexity and features to present, it becomes even more important to make navigation distinctive in work settings to support workflow.

Getting off on a rant here so I'll stop now.

McLaranium 9-1-14 2014-01-09 21:36:23

have you noticed the "new" abused engraved text effect shadow?
(why do the abuse ?? do designers assume all people like and follow the new trends?? )
I imagine it is easy to code and fit.

here just examples of design effects I did, based in "trends "
glossy, matte and "engraved". even the famous engraved is found there in the green example (oo)!

- "analog textures- objects to represent digital functions" --excellent said.
depending the website I publish (example my business) and considering the visitors profile (OS, Screen, devices) that's why I keep the eye in this topics.

McLaranium 11-1-14 2014-01-11 20:51:44

another one "engraved" - I've seen a lot examples, .
do everybody do the same?
[ link ]
just because its new trend?
or "follow the new trend because the audience - visitors or clients like it "
how do I know a client or visitor likes this new trend? does this effect in graphics motivate the clients or visitors? how do I know it ?
[ link ]

haha I saw the microsoft website and its very very "plane"

Post edited 11-1-14

Night Angel 12-1-14 2014-01-12 02:45:24

Do you mean the slightly beveled text effect? It actually helps because it goes well with any plain design and make the texts less flat and boring. Also it's easily achievable with CSS. (By offsetting text elements by one pixel) I also use the technique too.

I am not huge fan of completely flat things. It's just too inhuman to me. If I'm to make any simple design without any graphical elements or styles, I will no doubt add some gradients. It just makes the layout more comfortable and lets define the spatial boundaries more easily.

McL I must say that when you're designing, never think about any styles or trends. There's no point to set anything in a particular design categories. You're dealing with your client, not being a trendsetter or pioneer. Just absorb what you see online and then understand the client's needs, and make the design. Done!

You must log in to comment on threads and posts.

Return to forum Scroll to top Email this post to someone