Important Notice for Existing Members: the system is recently updated, and login system is also upgraded. You will need to reset your password to log in again. Please use the FORGOT PASSWORD button below to reset, and after all the procedures, you will be able to log back in. Email us for any issues

Member? Come on in!

Forgot password?

Not angel? Sign up now!

Evolution of the Web
Started by Night Angel 9-9-11 .

Take a look at this page, which is all about the evolution of the web and web browsers. Pretty interesting!

Visualization: Evolution of Web
http://beautifulpixels.com/web/visualization-evolution-of-web/

ikomi 12-9-11 2011-09-12 17:26:44

Ah, HTML, how far it has come since scrolling marquees ...

McLaranium 23-11-13 2013-11-23 17:08:24

i find firefox a good and to me some better,
some friends dislike chrome.
and i've compared: iE the worst .
about the evolution of the web:

-Google's- (not about programming or coding)
Youtube sucks with the streamings and a lot of advertising of ***** .- i don't find easy to share my screen on smart TV and my portable "touch screen" device . at least its not comfortable the UI - interface to me .
you got to have an account everywhere G+ to browse and have a youtube account, and about youtube: the comments new format kicks the knee!

Night Angel 24-11-13 2013-11-24 00:53:30

Wow, the page is still valid. But Firefox is already v25.0.1 now!

crays 24-11-13 2013-11-24 11:07:05

firefox will be the one with the highest version lol

Night Angel 25-11-13 2013-11-25 00:53:05

When IE 12 is released, Firefox is probably v60.

Then someone will think number is too old-fashioned, and so suggest using stupid names like "Firefox Ultra" "Chrome Pro"...

Then someone will think that Apple's names are cleaner and simpler, so everyone is back to "Firefox" "Chrome", at most it is "Firefox Mini"...

ikomi 25-11-13 2013-11-25 17:10:47

Sometimes I have mixed feelings about the "evolution" of the web. 2 steps forward and 1 step back. HTML5 has brought many useful features including more semantic markup tags, people can now include schemas [ link ] etc. CSS3 makes it simple to add effects that were previously a bit hacky (like rounded corners )

It's funny, a few years ago I was using , it's now basically without a lot of great features it had. 10 years later, I can't seem to find a decent browser that 1) is moderate on RAM use (130-300 MB seems to be the acceptable norm now for mostly static pages as consumer computers have more memory), 2) doesn't track users and 3) has per-site-basis cookie management. In an era of web advertising and online data mining, a lot of browsers surprisingly don't have the third one. Granted, I understand the "average" user might not ask or care for any of the above, but Is it really too much to ask?

I'm using at the moment because it has #3, has many useful extensions developed for it and the UI is customisable (though not quite to the degree of the old Opera). The dev talks about the necessity of Flash to support H.264 video is unsettling. Mozilla promoted itself as championing open standards, but it seems they're willing to forgo that for the mobile market and "user sovereignty".

It's an exciting time for web developers, and I hope the future will bring more and better browser choices.

Nohbudy 25-11-13 2013-11-25 18:39:08

I use for most of what I do. I like having the separate search bar, and it has all the best developer tools. Better cookie managers, firebug, SOA client for testing REST and XML services, and Poster for testing POST requests.

Though for personal stuff, like email and AW when I'm on OSX at work I use . I was using but it's buggy and won't show webpages half the time.

ikomi 25-11-13 2013-11-25 23:09:59

Ghostery is one of the first addons I put in a new Firefox installation. Yeah, Firebug is a good one, I used to have it for viewing stylesheets, lately I just use the right-click Inspect Element feature.

I tried a Chromium-based browser called Iron a few years ago, when Chrome started to gain popularity. It launched and loaded sites quickly. It didn't have a fine-grained cookie manager (though this may have changed since) and aside from changing the background, the UI was less adjustable than .

You must log in to comment on threads and posts.

Return to forum Scroll to top Email this post to someone