Important Notice for Existing Members: the system is recently updated, and login system is also upgraded. You will need to reset your password to log in again. Please use the FORGOT PASSWORD button below to reset, and after all the procedures, you will be able to log back in. Email us for any issues

Member? Come on in!

Forgot password?

Not angel? Sign up now!

Flickalicious Attempt [WIP]
Started by crays 30-8-11 .

Hi guys, i'm trying to make a site specifically for the sports i love so much, ultimate [ link ]

I'm calling it Flickalicious, for the fact that the disc only flies obediently if you apply a flick to it, so that it spins and doesn't wobble~ (You think the name is catchy? Need some opinion)

So here's my design to the site, have a look Need some C&C on my progress

Here's my design if the below is too small : [ link ]

The site has a few main features :-
upcoming events
users stats (where you can view and ppl can add stats)
registration for tournaments

PS
Vince, is there a reason why i can't disable the resizing file option? Also the disable link and other are all not workings

Post edited 30-8-11

crays 2-9-11 2011-09-02 05:10:47

Thanks Gen, Indeed, NA's stuff has inspired me quite alot . I took the advices and are revamping it now Wanted to try Flash, but i'm no good with it probably gonna go mainly CSS and yes, the font rendering is messing up my previous design T^T

Night Angel 2-9-11 2011-09-02 05:42:20

I would not recommend because it is really not helping the site in this situation. Even more, the site contains updates and stuff, which is very dynamic that Flash may not be excelling in. It is not a bad idea at all to keep it simple with HTML and CSS, so that mobile devices can view it too.

Night Angel 2-9-11 2011-09-02 05:44:18

For font rendering, try Google Web Font [ link ] which takes advantage of the CSS feature @font-face. Heard of it? It is actually a feature to download a font file for that website to use, and so the visitors will see the font whether they have that font or not.

And of course, the older browsers won't be able to enjoy such beauty, but who cares?

crays 2-9-11 2011-09-02 08:16:20

hahaha, yup i heard of it, tho, you know the font georgia? The font appearance is totally off when i did it in photoshop with no anti-aliasing method and when i did it with CSS in webpages.

Night Angel 2-9-11 2011-09-02 14:53:38

Yes, and that's because of the poor anti-aliasing in Windows. The newer Windows like 7 is fine, but still a little bit odd for my taste.

It is a system thing, and so it cannot be changed. Only Flash can overcome that in a website, because it embeds everything and displays it with its own engine.

And that's why it is a good practice to use system font if you want the site to look okay more major systems. If you want better fonts, you can always specify in CSS in an order so that the browser of the user will choose the font that it has. "Lucida Grande, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif" means it will use Lucida Grande if the system has it, or else Helvetica, and so on. Therefore, your site will look okay if it is on newer system, but downgrades to other fonts for older systems (assuming the older system doesn't have the newer font).

For anti-aliasing, check the link below.

Type rendering: operating systems The Typekit Bl
http://blog.typekit.com/2010/10/15/type-rendering-operating-systems/

Night Angel . 2-9-11
Btw this is also interesting about type lovers. This website uses Flash because it has to make the fonts shown to any visitor correctly.

Night Angel 3-9-11 2011-09-03 06:39:05

That's nice, much clearer

I don't think you need to copy my website for the bottom part not that you cannot copy, but it is not needed in your case. Just make a typical page ending like in Yahoo.com, and it is all good. The footer should give some quick links to sections which people don't browse often and which provide technical information. keep it up!

crays 3-9-11 2011-09-03 07:35:57

Yeah, now that i see it again, i find it pointless . Maybe i would or maybe just a "back to top and a copyright"

Genuine 3-9-11 2011-09-03 18:07:17

Indeed, very nice!

Beside just 1 critic, I dont have any.
What about a menu bullet "Contact"? I cant see on the site any possability to contact "flickalicious"...

Gen

crays 4-9-11 2011-09-04 06:22:37

Wanted to add it into FaQ, or should i really make a new tab called Contact?

Genuine 4-9-11 2011-09-04 09:44:56

I find it pretty useful, because on a glance you have all the information regarding to the site. Who is the owner, how to contact him and something like this.
But in my country a tab like this is necessary by law, don't know how it is in yours.

Gen

Night Angel 4-9-11 2011-09-04 11:47:45

It depends on what you wanna show. Some people may just add an email link for the Contact button and it is all good already. If you have a lot of information, like names, emails and physical addresses, then a contact page will be needed.

crays 4-9-11 2011-09-04 12:53:31

Gen @ Woah?! Seriously? My country isn't that much advanced yet i think

NA @ I think i would just add a email cause there really isn't much that will be displayed there. No physical address, and just me

You must log in to comment on threads and posts.

Return to forum Scroll to top Email this post to someone