Hong Kong Protests against Extradition Bill
Started by Night Angel 1 month ago .

On 9/6 Sunday, a peaceful protest was held to express the citizens' opposition to the Extradition Bill proposed by the government in Hong Kong. More than 1 million people participated, but in the end it was turned ugly when the government announced their firm position to amend the bill in July. Some of the protestors refused to leave and set up barriers to cordon off roads in the main central district area.

Even worse, people organized another round of protest three days later. On 12/6, protestors showed up in Admiralty near the Central Government Complex and blocked major roads, paralyzing the traffic in that area in the morning. The whole district was closed until midnight when the police started to clear the roads and disperse the crowd.

Tear gas and rubber bullets were used, and the police was accused of the use of unnecessary violence and means to clear the areas. The action triggered even greater anger in the city, leading to another huge march event on the next Sunday (16/6). Nearly 2 million people participated, making it the largest protest so far in Hong Kong history. However, the whole event went orderly, smooth and peaceful, and this time police did not interfere much. The protest last until the next morning when the protestors came to an agreement and released the blocked roads to the public. They also cleaned the space where they occupied.

The event unfortunately led to little success as the government did not revoke the bill but instead just suspended it. Also, the police refused to take back its original definition of the 12/6 event as riot, as that would put certain people to jail (note that nothing was burnt or vandalized while no one was hurt, so why riot?). The people were not satisfied with the press release from the government after the march, and I am not sure if people will go on march again this weekend...

From BBC page:

It's important to remember that Hong Kong is significantly different from other Chinese cities. To understand this, you need to look at its history.

It was a British colony for more than 150 years - part of it, Hong Kong island, was ceded to the UK after a war in 1842. Later, China also leased the rest of Hong Kong - the New Territories - to the British for 99 years.

It became a busy trading port, and its economy took off in the 1950s as it became a manufacturing hub.

The territory was also popular with migrants and dissidents fleeing instability, poverty or persecution in mainland China.

Summary of The Incident 12/6
[ link ]

The Contexts You'll Need
[ link ]

How much Japanese cares too
[ link ]

The Stunning Pictures from BBC on 16/6 March
[ link ]

I feel so sad about what happened. The government did not really respond to what the people were asking, but simply dispel the doubts by stressing how important the bill was to the safety of Hong Kong. Misleading the crowd is not working here, and I feel so frustrated and also angry that the government failed to address the concerns. Instead, they chose to evade from the questions, and to apply force to unarmed civilians. The police shot the unarmed people with rubber bullets, and some policemen were photographed when throwing bricks back to the crowd. Looking at the blood that some teenagers shedded, I just want to cry...

This is absolutely crazy...and now I can only sigh, that the city I love is dying...

Post edited 1 month ago

r@ymonD 1 month ago 2019-06-19 23:30:40

It' s really sad to see what & how the government responded.

McLaranium 1 month ago 2019-06-20 06:20:34

if you answer this, I could understand better maybe. Sorry guys! iF you want to read all the following, then go ahead

some bad person can't be abducted from Hong Kong ?
if I robbed in Beijing, and I'm in HK - can I be extradited or the law forbidds it?
iF Beijing wants to judge or punish a criminal, why he can't be extradited? (I don't think HK is a safe place to hide or refugee if I'm robber man)
does it depends if the criminal is chinese, hong kongese or balinese?
is it good or not or what's about: when a criminal is identified and put in jail of the country where he broke the law?

I heard HK opposites to the Extradt Bill 'cause it can be used to pilitical issues or favors or something inteas "real law".
it happens yes... so terrible: in MEX a criminal french girl even dangerous , she was caught in jail and the law of course judge her with mexican laws 'cause she was criminal against mexicans and mexican laws. nothing wrong with that, but: the french minister arrived, deladed with mexicans and Mrs Florence Cass (the criminal) was free , abducted by the french gov and the mexican laws fading away and politic favors overpassing everything.
The mexican law said: "she is nof free 'cause hers human rights were damaged when she was captured: some police pulled her from hair".

My opinion onion about people and manifesters:
it's strange and bad how the Gov tries to repress or shut them up (or shoot or gas).
Massive and 2 000 000 persons is amazing and considerable amount of citizens, really to consider and it should make analyze what's the Extradt Bill is carrying on with it.

About the topic:
I don't understand, I live in a different world, different culture and laws.

if a mexican breaks the USA law in USA territory , USA will judge in USA.
if an american or brasilian breaks the mexican law, then then MEX will judge and the person will be caught in mexican jail.

The person is judged and caught in jail where the law was broken: if I break a window in Peru, I will be in Peru jail. if a girl from Argentina breaks the law here in MEX, she will be in mexican jail with mexican charges.

iF the Argentina or British Gov ask for extradition, MEX got to analyze and bla bla bla to allow extradition but it is so hard and complex - but it can be possible: the extradition is a kind to "protect" the citizen. if I'm mexican caught in Colombia, maybe I would die in jail, then MEX asks for "extradition of me" to stay in mexican jail instead. Some criminals have been captured in MEX and extradited to their country, some other mexicans have been captured in USA, Spain or Indonesia and sorry... no help for them a lot of times.

iF I break the law in Hong Kong or Indonesia, I will be there the rest of my life for sure. iF I break the law in MEX and I go to Hong Kong, MEX will ask my extradition and MEX will try everything possible to get me in mexican jail.

Note:
it would be excellent if the law was applied as I described, but in the reality politics or corruption is the reality.

Night Angel 3 weeks ago 2019-06-25 09:09:14

It is a long reply! First of all, on the extradition bill, there is nothing really wrong with that law, but the issue is, when there are serious cases, special arrangements will be made and we never really have problems so far.

The reason why people are worried is that China can actually impose unreasonable / unproved / random criminal charge on you if you are one of the wanted people opposing to the Chinese government, even if you are not guilty at all. They then extradite you to China and put you into jail forever. I think that's the challenge since there are people missing suddenly after expressing different political views or protesting against the government. We all worry if China will abuse the law and remove anyone from the city secretively.

McLaranium 3 weeks ago 2019-06-26 17:55:43

No words.
(o0)

in MEX the law + corruption is as terrible as Taliban issues in Pakistan or Kabul.
if you are victim of "unreasonable / unproved / random criminal charges" ... what can we say?

only rest trust in the population criteria based in the current trust of local law as i think it's applying.

so much different in MEX, I could post examples or explanations but this is enough to know MEX and it's corruption:

"if I don't let you commit illicit acts, we would not have work, we got to have people in the process with charges guilty or not"
it covers the fraud Gov business and some political or empowered favors (that's what HK also want to prevent I suppose).

ikomi 3 weeks ago 2019-06-29 19:20:25

So much for the promise nothing will change for the next 50 years.

McL: as I understand it, it depends on the perpetrator's citizenship, whether there are extradition treaties set up with other nations and the conditions under which an extradition request may be denied. Some countries' laws prohibit them from extraditing people to other countries with the death penalty, where there is a high risk of torture, or if there is evidence of political persecution.

HK currently has extradition agreements with 20 countries, not including China and Taiwan. Last year there was a murder case in Taiwan where both the suspect and victim were HK citizens. As the crime was committed in a country without an extradition agreement with HK, the HK police couldn't charge the alleged murderer or have him sent him back to Taiwan for trial. The HK government then came up with a plan to enable per-case extradition to countries not on the list.

This article explains the situation nicely. Basically, there are two main issues tied up with that plan:

1. The government insisted on adding Taiwan and China, despite initial proposals from political moderates for Taiwan to be added first on an as-needed basis and postpone the other for future debate. Beijing considers Taiwan a part of China, and adding one without the other is seen as recognising Taiwan as an independent nation, which it won't do. Meanwhile, Taiwan has declined the extradition arrangement offer. Going through with it will likely increase tensions between the two governments.

2. As Night Angel mentioned, there are major human rights implications for allowing extradition to the mainland, where the death penalty still exists as well as a long record for torture. Under the new plan, the only obstacle between a suspect and the death row is the Chief Executive.

Put in one perspective, while MX may suffer from corruption, the leadership is - at least on paper - elected by the people. The Chief Executive is decidedly not elected by the people.

Post edited 3 weeks ago

McLaranium 2 weeks ago 2019-06-30 05:12:24

I read the article.. yes thanks for the link .!
(below I saw the famous Huawei topic... )

ikomi 2 weeks ago 2019-06-30 18:55:13

Yeah, the Huawei topic is another fiasco. Are you referring to the Canadian government detaining the Huawei CEO for extradition to the US, or the US sanctions against Chinese tech companies including Huawei?

Some people in the Chinese-Canadian communities blamed the Canadian government for complying with the extradition treaty, and some said they should have let her escape and make it look like an accident. It seems like a lose-lose situation of offending either one or even both sides.

Night Angel . 2 weeks ago
Sigh, that is another crazy thing...I am just speechless about this whole event. Where from earth does this all start from? I mean, the intentions and the secret plan behind...

ikomi . 2 weeks ago
Probably leverage for the economic trade war between two countries.

McLaranium . 1 week ago
conspiracies, secret plans behind. yes, it exists in some way. (o0)

McLaranium 2 weeks ago 2019-07-03 08:45:05

Huawei and Donald Trump + Kim Jong + Mexican migration + Android + Google + Canadian Gov
- still I'm not sure but, looking closer maybe that's circus, much ado about nothing .

"they should have let her escape and make it look like an accident"
it happens in MEX, sometimes "it looks like suicide".

ikomi . 2 weeks ago
Yeah, a lot of posturing.

From McLaranium:

"they should have let her escape and make it look like an accident"
it happens in MEX, sometimes "it looks like suicide".

There have been reports of indigenous women (aboriginals) in Canada who went missing or were found murdered, apparently connected to government negligence, but not that kind of celebrity political assassination.

You must log in to comment on threads and posts.

Return to forum Scroll to top Email this post to someone